Tuesday 12 October 2010

Winter is coming...


So, the nights are getting darker and the orange tinged leaves are on the ground. It can only mean one thing, time to get the winter wardrobe out and wrap up warm!


I love winter wear. As I was living in Portugal last winter, I'm really appreciating this autumn so far. I do miss being able to sit outside to eat my lunch in the middle of December, yes, but I remember finding myself pining for a roaring fire and a chunky knit.


There is nothing like walking my dog through the leaves in knee high boots and a long chunky cardigans.


Having done the autumn and winter 2010 fashion section for The Student Guide all the way back in May, I have been yearning to pull out my favourite coat and knee high's since spring! After trawling through images of the high street collections, choosing what to put into the fashion pages, I think I am pretty well informed on what's hot and what's not!


This season it is all about the outerwear. The great thing about winter is that getting away with adding tights and boots to a dress from spring. Jeans layered with fine knits or one big chunky knit. The important part of your outfit is what pulls it all together - the coat (or cape!)


Yes, capes. They are big this season. I know images of Sherlock Holmes may come to mind but bear with me. Capes are in all shapes, sizes, colours, styles and textures this season on the high street. With fur being the must-have material (fake, of course), fur trimmed capes are the most on trend piece to invest in and perfect to wear for evenings out in the winter months.


Miss Selfridge and Dorothy Perkins have come up trumps with their collection of fur- trimmed capes. This is my absolutely favourite from Miss Selfridge:




Expensive, but it will last a lifetime. If you always ponder what to put on over your dress on a night out in winter, and don't want to swamp your outfit with a coat, then this cape is the answer to your problems.


For the more fashion forward girl, a military cape is stylish for the daytime. Combining two key trends, the military cape would be perfect worn over over jeans or with a pencil skirt to the office.


This is my favourite military cape, from Dorothy Perkins:




If a cape really isn't for you and you like your coats to have somewhere to put your arms, then it is time to invest in some fur... fake fur. Fur trimmed, double breasted coats are a key look. Fur trimmed parka's for a more casual, daytime style are also awash over the high street.


Full-on fur coats are also everywhere, I have three... two are vintage finds on the internet, one being knee length brown fur and the other a trashy 1980s style leopard print, which came in handy at Glastonbury! The other is a cropped fluffy white fur coat from New Look, which I have mainly worn for fancy dress...


Fur coats are more versatile than you think. In the daytime they look 1970's cool teamed with jeans and a blouse or even denim shorts worn over tights. In the evening they will enhance any outfit for some all out glamour - just leave the long evening gloves and pearls at home or you may be mistaken for an extra from Downton Abbey.


I have just invested in this coat from very.co.uk and it is an absolutely stunning fit. Nipped in at the waist, the perfect fake fur trim - all I need is a slick of red lipstick and my beret and I will feel like Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca.




For those indian summer days and when you don't want to wear a full-on coat, the aviator jacket is on the top of wish-lists for fashionistas the world over. Warm yet stylish, the aviator jacket will go with everything in your wardrobe. The little black dress, the high-waisted trouser, the pencil skirt... the trend for shearling is look set to remain with us into the new year.


This is a great aviator jacket from Matalan. Not an overly offensive price but well-cut and good quality.





No comments:

Post a Comment